fbpx

Unlike many patients, Tyson Hribnak remembers the crew who treated him during his helicopter transport. Although his body was wracked with the pain of being caught in a propane explosion inside his family’s camping trailer, the soothing words of his flight paramedic made the journey to the Alberta Children’s Hospital a little easier.

“I won’t forget paramedic Scott, who said he was going to take care of me,” said Tyson.

The boy and his grandfather were injured in the fire on Aug. 31 2012, while the family camped near Pincher Creek, AB. While his grandfather investigated an odour, the propane tank exploded, spitting fire into the trailer. Following several surgeries and skin grafts Tyson and his grandfather have recovered.

To express his gratitude, Tyson raised funds for STARS by shovelling his neighbours’ sidewalks and selling STARS calendars (his story was featured in the 2014 calendar). He and his family are also active STARS volunteers, telling his mission story at numerous STARS events.

His family is proud of his recovery and his attitude. “Ty’s accident does not define him,” says his mother, Karly Hribnak. “It has taught us all the importance of community, giving back and of appreciating the gift of each day.”

Watch Tyson share his story here.

Meet more of our VIPS