For two weeks Sebastian Fraser complained of an earache and neck pain. His parents figured the four year old was injured while swimming during summer vacation and visited the family doctor. Despite several doctor visits, however, the boy’s pains remained a mystery.

Soon, Sebastian’s personality changed and he had difficulty breathing. On Aug. 10, exasperated medical staff at a rural clinic sent the child to a regional hospital for tests where doctors found an abscess in his neck. It was rare toxic bacterium.

“Once the doctors realized what it was we were in panic mode,” said mother, Christina Fraser. “An hour after the CT scan, STARS was there. We couldn’t believe how quickly the helicopter came.” While STARS flew Sebastian to the children’s hospital, the nurse kept in touch with Christina, offering assurance her boy was in great hands.

“It’s great to know STARS was there for us.”

Meet more of our VIPS